top of page

1924:  Brownsville, Bridgeport and West Brownsville

​

Sanborn maps (Set of 22)

   This 1924 set of twenty-two fire insurance maps was published by the Sanborn Map & Publishing Company in August 1924.  Sanborn fire insurance maps, most of them produced between 1876 and 1961, are a treasure house of information about the Three Towns (and 12,000 other communities in the United States).  

   There are eight sets of Sanborn fire insurance maps showing Brownsville, Bridgeport and West Brownsville.  They were produced in 1886, 1891, 1896, 1901, 1907, 1913, 1921 and 1924.  As years passed, the number of maps in each year's set grew.  The 1886 set has six maps.  The final set, produced in 1924, has 22 maps in it.

   In addition to showing the towns' streets, they show the individual lots, property owners' names, shape and structural type and details about each building on each lot, and much more information.  The purpose of the Sanborn maps, which are no longer published, was to furnish detailed information so as to enable a fire insurance company to determine fire insurance rates, etc. 

   In order to comply with all copyright regulations, the method by which users of this Brownsville HISTORIC MAPS ARCHIVE may view the Sanborn maps is as follows: 

   The link below, in red, will take you to the digital online map collection of the Pennsylvania State University.  The link will take you directly to Page 1 of the 1924 Sanborn maps of Brownsville, South Brownsville, West Brownsville, Blainesburg, Beacon Hill and Knoxville.  

   The first page of each set, which is shown below, is the "master" map.  On the master map, the community is divided into colored numbered sections.  Each of the other maps in the 1924 set focuses on one of those sections in great detail.

   And please don't forget to take advantage of the ability to zoom in to study the details on these wonderfully informative maps!

​

    To view the 1924 Sanborn maps of Brownsville, South Brownsville, West Brownsville, Blainesburg, Beacon Hill & Knoxville, click here.

​

​

1924 Sanborn map page 1.jpg
bottom of page